Saturday, January 26, 2008

Green Beans with Chickpeas


Good Gravy, Paula Deen! You must be readin' my blog! Here's a Paula Deen recipe from her delightful magazine, for some delicious beans and peas which are only 1.5 WW points or only about 170 calories per serving! The Deb doesn't have to tell you a) how much I love Paula Deen and/or b) how homey and delicious these are coming from her kitchen.

Green Beans with Chickpeas

You'll need a big old Dutch Oven (or the enormous Calphalon sauce pot, which is what I used) and also:

2 C. reduced sodium Chicken Broth
1 C. chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
2 (16 oz) packages frozen green beans, thawed
1 16 oz can chickpeas (my mother dislikes chickpeas, so I suggested corn as a substitute, and I imagine any other bean you fancy would work nicely here, too)
2 t. lemon zest
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. fresh parsley
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. ground white pepper (you can use regular pepper, but use about 1/2 t. since black pepper isn't as strong as the white)
3 T. butter (hurrah for real butter! In small amounts, I can really taste it and it's a big treat)

In the Dutch oven, combine broth, onion and garlic; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 10 minutes. Stir in green beans and chickpeas, reduce heat, simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, juice and seasonings. Add butter, stirring until melted.

Mmm. These were so good. It makes 8 servings, but I just gobbled down the last helping with lunch -- they don't last long!

No comments: