Saturday, May 26, 2007

Salmon in a Mustard Sage Crust


"I have a powerful craving for red salmon" -- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, HS Thompson

Don't we all?

Ah, salmon. The flakiest of all the good-for-you fish. The last time I made salmon, however, I made little salmon croquettes, which were too darling. Tragically, however, I made them with wheat germ (I rolled them in it before sauteing for a nice crunchy exterior). My husband, who had never had wheat germ in his life, nearly killed us both with his toxic emissions. That night in bed, I actually woke up, the stench was that bad, and had to gently pat him down in an effort to determine whether or not he'd crapped his pants. He had not, but to this day, I refuse to cook with wheat germ.

Salmon is a different story, though. We love us some salmon. And this is an easy recipe -- I made it out of things that just popped into my mind as I peered into the refrigerator. It's really delicious. And only 242 calories (or 5 WW points)!

Salmon with Mustard Sage Crust
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and get out a bake pan, spraying it with cook spray.

You'll need:
1 -- 1 1/2 lb salmon fillets (about 4, 5 -- 6 oz. pieces -- I like the Alaskan)
salt, freshly ground pepper and Old Bay, to taste
1/4 C. Dijon or spicy mustard
1 T. Fat Free Sour cream
1 T. Salsa
1 T. White wine (or water)
1 T. vinegar
1/4 t. mustard powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
2 t. fresh sage, chopped

Season the salmon on both sides with salt, pepper and old bay, and place in the pan. In a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients. Brush the sauce over the fillets well, coating completely. There will be some left over -- reserve and save to serve on top.

Bake until fork-tender, about 15 -- 20 minutes. Serve the salmon with mustard sauce on side.

I made this and served it up with my corn on the cob and a nice crusty bread. It's also good paired with Just 'Gus and brown rice.

Salmon Serenade:
"Can't Find the Time to Tell You" by Hootie and the Salmon, er, Blowfish
"From Silver Lake" by Jackson Browne (Salmon love silver lakes)
"(I don't know why) But I Do" by Clarence 'Frogman' Henry (Salmon love frogs)

No comments: